Thursday, October 28, 2010

Caroline Wozniacki Clinches Year-End No. 1 Ranking at Doha

Filed under: ,

Caroline WozniackiCaroline Wozniacki clinched the WTA's year-end No. 1 ranking on Thursday by defeating Francesca Schiavone, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1, in their round-robin match at the WTA Championships in Doha, Qatar.

She is the youngest player to end the year at No. 1 since Martina Hingis accomplished the feat in 2000. "That's something I've dreamed about since I was a little girl," Wozniacki said after the match. "I'm really happy, really proud about what I've achieved this year."

Wozniacki, who lost the first set, rallied back and strengthened as the match progressed. She earned three vital breaks in the third set to seal the win. The match was a microcosm of Wozniacki's year. She wore down her opponent, and was stronger -- both mentally and physically -- than Schiavone was by the contest's end.

"Francesca was playing really good in the first set," Wozniacki said. "I just hang in there, and I kept my focus, and I tried to stay a little bit more aggressive and not let her dictate the game in the second and third, and that helped me through."

Source: http://tennis.fanhouse.com/2010/10/28/caroline-wozniacki-clinches-year-end-no-1-ranking/

George Steinbrenner Theodore Forstmann Gary Bettman Alex Rodriguez Joseph S. Blatter

No comments:

Post a Comment